- Salvadorean and Mexican presidents lament the failure of S.1639 in Congress.
- Sen. Reid (yea) calls defeat a win for a "status quo that amounts to silent amnesty".
- Sen. Specter (yea) said: "We have to find some way to deal with [the 12 million undocumented immigrants] which is realistic."
- Sen. Kennedy (yea) said "[W]e are in the struggle for the long haul."
- Sen. Webb (yea): "Enforce the laws on the books."
- Sen. Sander (nay) says his concerns with the bill centered around the middle class.
- Sen. Harkin (nay) said: "America is a nation of immigrants, but we are a nation that believes in controlled immigration."
July 18 re-launch on Matt.org site
Attention, Readers! Re-think Immigration is moving to its new home tomorrow, Wednesday, July 18. Click here to go to the new website. It is functionally identical to this one except that all past comments will stay archived at this website. Comments to new posts should be posted at the new site and will require a quick, painless sign-up process so that everyone has their own unique username.